Sunday, November 4, 2007

documentation


I decided to make a directory of my work. At first, I thought I should have someone do this for me. After gathering the slides from 1983-1993, I realized this would not be practical. Also, I stopped photo documentation of my work after my retrospective in 2000. And, the idea of an incomplete archive seemed like a Pandora's box of what I have not done.
During my first semester, I did do a complete inventory of the work in my studio and began laying a ground for marketing the work I had not sold. This pile above represents the work that was sold.
I am very over whelmed just by the weight of these notebooks and boxes. So I have decided to approach the reclaiming of my work in a more literary way, by taking the titles of the work and compiling a running list of the words, phrases and ideas that have been in my work. This is my way of sitting with the work of twenty five years, acknowledging what I have been been influenced by and archiving my journey as a studio artist.
My maggot. I acknowledge that this idea came from someone else, though inadvertently. My husband rarely commented on my actual art work, but one time when he noticed a list of titles lying around from some invoice, he remarked that my titles are a work in themselves.

No comments: